Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Appearances


Tonight I had a moment...

A moment that I want to share...

First off I have not been the happiest camper lately,
I have been counting down the days until school will start,
almost as if I am waiting for my life to begin.

I have been focused on having peace and quiet in my home.


I have been dreaming of my house staying clean for more than 5 minutes,


and not hearing the constant tattle tailing and fighting.


I have been wishing this summer away in a mean way!


My life feels like a country song on a small scale to me right now!


Washer is leaking,


Ava was sick all week, and she is not a happy camper when she is sick.


Eric is out of town 2 or 3 nights a week! ( I miss my man!)


I have a toothache!


It is 110' out side we have major cabin fever, need I say more!


I have been throwing some major parties lately!


Pity parties that is!


Well back to my moment...


Tonight I decided to go get the boys some new shoes and backpacks for school.
Brexan is out of town so I only have 4 kiddos to take to the store,
so fun! (not)
We went to Ross and the boys found some shoes they liked,

Let me start by saying,
Bridger LOVES character stuff!


I have never had one this into characters before,

he loves spider man, the movie cars stuff, the gaudier the better!

He found some spider man shoes he wanted, and I immediately shot him down!

I have to be honest I so do not love character stuff!
Sorry if I offended you but that is just me!

Then we went to target and Bridger found a really horribly gaudy character shirt,
and it was about Brexan's size!

He wanted it,

I told him "NO way"

then he found one that was to small for him, but still gaudy!

I said again "NO way".

Then tonight I read Stephanies blog and was truly humbled as I always am,

I sat holding him in my arms, and looked into his sweet innocent eyes and thought,

why do I care so much if he wants to wear spider man stuff so much, am I so worried about
what the world will think of my four year old boy who loves spider man,
that I would withhold the pleasure of letting him wear what he loves???

I looked at him and said
"Buddy do you want those spider man shoes?"

His face lit up!

"Yes"

"Do you want that spider man shirt?"

"Yes"
( me with tears in my eyes)
"Tomorrow I am going to let you pick out what ever you want,
and you can even wear them on the first day of school!"

He was so excited,

and you know,

so am I,

I learned something tonight by realizing that it is more important to let my son be who he is,
and let him have a say in what he wants to wear, and what will make him happy!

Life is not about the way things look on the outside!

It is what is on the inside that counts!

I look forward to tomorrow taking my little boy back to the store,

and making his day by letting him get his spider man shirt, and shoes!

And I will beam with pride when he goes off to his first day of pre-school,

proud as punch in his prized spider man shirt and shoes!

8 comments:

{Annie N.} said...

You are such a good mom. I think almost every mom is excited for school to start. Life is so much easier with a schedule.
I'm not a fan of the character stuff either. But so far my kids haven't asked for it or I probably would cave too.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post. A big Amen to everything you said. And I bet you will smile every time he wears those darn shoes. And you'll be glad.

Kisten Downey said...

hey lady... havent seen you in so long.. we need to try and get together... you are so cute...oh and i am so pumped to have school here again wahhooooo

Mel said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I love when I get comments from people I don't know!! Blogging is great for us mothers who need an outlet. I actually don't know Stephanie either, but was given her blog address from some friends. I love that you have 4 boys and then a girl. Way to go!!! Love your hair bows. I buy plenty for my only girl!! Very cute family!!

april hickman said...

Kelsi, I love this story.
Do you know what free gift came with the purchase of spiderman shirt?

Large dose of confidence!!!

He is going to feel so good about himself EVERY time he puts that sucker on.

Good job!

Love, April

Jod Jas Curtis said...

Kels- you are amazing-- I wish i could do the same! Okay, I did let Creed pick school clothes out, but was very careful on where I took him- hahaha! It should be NO BIG WOOP! We are getting there.
you will rub off on me one of these days right!?!
luvs

Sparks in the Desert said...

You are such a good mom! I am so against character items as well...anything character. I would never be caught dead with a Winnie the pooh diaper bag etc. or for that matter have my kids wear it! I too have had to give in...they are only young once!

Shanna said...

I seriously understand this. Brooklynn loves doing her own hair and now Shailee is starting the same. They do ok, but of course not as great as if I did it for them. I just have to swallow my pride and let them out with those crooked pony tails and not care what anyone thinks.