Tuesday, March 4, 2008

In memory of my cousin Rebecca Webber Bass

So while today is a happy day because it is Danielle's B-day, I could not forget that this day is also one of sadness for me and my family. March 4th, 2002 My beautiful cousin and friend Rebecca Webber Bass age 29 passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on her mom's 50 B-day. She was a wonderful wife and a mommy to 3 kids, Madisen 7, Davis 3, and Harrison 4 1/2 months at the time of her death. She was such a neat person, I still think of her often and can see her beautiful smile and eyes, and hear her cute little laugh. I got to talk to her on the phone 4 days before she died, and I remember it seemed like we could not say goodbye. I looked at my caller ID after to see how long we had been talking and it was for over a hour. I never thought that it would be our last conversation, or that the next time I would see her would be at her funeral. Life really is so fragile! It is amazing how humbling it is to go to a funeral, it really puts things into perspective, the big picture is much clearer and our life's purpose is reevaluated. We think about our own life, our own purpose, how we can be better and what we are going to do different, and hopefully we are better for it. I can tell you that I think of my cousin often, I think of how sad it is that she did not get to see her kids grow up. I am more thankful for my life, my kids, and even my problems. I am thankful that I get to be the one who kisses and hugs them goodnight, that I get to rub their tummy's when they are sick, and I get to have the fun and funny moments, what a blessing it is to be a mother! I treasure my life! We never know what tomorrow will bring. It is such a waste of time to be mad, angry or unforgiving especially with our family. How would we live differently if we knew that tomorrow would not come? Here is a quote that I love, Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a special gift that is why we call it the present! Live today and everyday as if it were your last! Hug and kiss your loved ones more, speak kindly, give more, help more, complain less, yell less, and the biggest one forgive as though you did not have another day to hold a grudge. Today and always I honor my cousin Becky, I miss you, I love you, and I can't wait to one day see you again! In her honor I will hold my baby a little longer, kiss and hug my husband and kids more! Tell my family I love them every chance I have, and live my life to the fullest, the way that I know she lived, and the way she would want to see me live!

7 comments:

Brooke said...

Hi! I saw your comment on my blog and you are too cute! I'm so glad you said hi! You have an adorable family! You look way too young to have 5 kids! You look kind of familiar...are you from st. george? i lived there for a few years, actually went to Pine View for 2. I used to live across the street from Jamie and Beckie, i LOVE LOVE LOVE that family! (oh, and blogging is SO addicting! There is even a website you can publish your blog onto a hardbound book!)

Lyndi Dunlavy said...

Okay, so life has been crazy and I haven't been on my computer for days!! I finally was able to check out your fabulous blog and it looks wonderful. Your the best!! Talk to you soon.

Danielle Christiansen said...

Loved your comments. So sad about your cousin. You are so right! Life is precious you never know when your time is up. I thought I was having a heartattack the other night. It scared me to think I would never see my family again. Just want to say love you and cant wait till we can get together again.

Brooke said...

Of course you can add me to your buddy list! Were you friends with Jaimie in high school? Maybe I just saw you at their house or something. I hate it when I can't figure out where I know someone from! :)

Amy said...

Love this post. I have too lost a best friend and Aunt. She was also so young and vibrant. Thanks for the great thought to start out my day. I will cherish it even more!! Thank you for making me feel loved in this neighborhood. you have been the nicest most loving person even though your the busiest!! you are a great mom too!!

Dalton Family said...

Hi Kelsi! I love that you have a blog now. It looks great! I forgot about your cousin. What a tragic death, I can't imagine not being here to raise my kids. I am glad her children have a great family to help them through out thier years =]

Jod Jas Curtis said...

Very sweet Kels - you are always so great w/ words. You are one of my best friends & I love you,
Jodi