Perfect?
what does it really mean any way? It has a different definition to every one. The Dictionary definition of perfect is, complete in all respects; without defect or omission; faultless; most excellent; exact or precise.
I was thinking about how we are all striving for perfection in our lives, perfect house, perfect car, perfect kids, perfect marriage, perfect body, perfect life!
I got to thinking about how the definition of perfect is different for everyone.
To some one with curly hair, perfect would be straight hair. Someone who is rich wants the authentic simple moments, To some one with out a car, perfect would be anything that would take them from point A to point B with out stopping. To a size 6 perfect is a size 2, to a size 20 perfect is a size 12. What is perfect to a size 2? Probably a size 6! Who knows! It seems like perfect is what ever we don't have or are lacking that we want. But yet how often do we focus on what we do have, and what we are doing well or even perfect?
So even though your life might seem far from perfect to you. In someone elses eyes you have the perfect life!
I love the book simple abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It has a different story, or message for every day of the year. There is a story in there I will never forget. It is titled Progress, Not Perfection it starts with a quote that I love.
Perfectionism is self-abuse of the highest order.
- Anne Wilson Schaef.
This story is about a Mom and her daughter, they wanted to make a potted flower arrangement like one they had seen in a magazine, they worked and fussed to make it perfect and it still did not look like the one in the magazine. The Mom gave up trying and said "Okay we are done. It's beautiful." The daughter said "But it doesn't look like hers," The Mom said"No, it doesn't. It looks like ours. Ours is great. Fine. Close enough." The daughter says "But hers is perfect. Everything she does is perfect. I want ours to be perfect too,"
Time out Serenity 102: Progress, Not perfection she explained to her daughter that the glamorous lifestyle gurus in books, magazines, and television have full-time professionals working for them. She also talked about how they rarely know a moments peace, and that what they had worked on was real. maybe not perfect but authentic and real! How much of our day is spoiled, spent or sullied- by our neurotic insistence on perfection? And what is perfect anyway? I really do feel like striving for perfection is truly self abuse.
And I do it! Why? I really don't know. Why can't I just let myself be, be enough the way I am?
It is funny that sometimes I feel like I am the only one who feels the way I do. The only one who has a messy house, crazy kids, the only one who needs to loose weight again for the 100Th time. The only one who screams behind closed doors. Why is it that we feel like we have to measure up, in every area in our life?
I wrote a children's book called Mommy what is Pretty? It is about a little girl who is asking her Mommy what it means to be pretty, is it being thin, wearing make up, jewels or fancy things??? The Mom replies that being pretty is knowing who you are, being kind, and letting your self just BE.
I really feel that the message needs to get out to women old and young,
Stop the inner abuse!
If your best friend treated you the way you treat yourself would you be friends with her?
I really need to work on this. I challenge all women every where to be more kind, and accepting of your self.
So your house is messy, is it the end of the world? You can always clean it later. Your body is not perfect, neither is mine. You feel like no one likes you? You can always call me. You feel like you are inadequate, all I can say is don't we all! Thank heavens for spell check, calculators and girdles!
So progress not perfection Ladies!
Haven't you had enough???
I have!
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Perfection
Posted by bows and more at 2:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






6 comments:
Kelsi, I always love your insightful statements. I so have felt not perfect lately I'm fat and showing way to much for being almost 4 mnths along. I keep telling myself the same things. Oh well I'll try after the baby is born. Thanks for the reminders. Love ya.
that was very uplifting. I might be the "small size" but I dont have half the friends you do...you should feel so lucky in that area, thats what makes life so much fun!! its your perfect personality you have:) and your gorgeous to top it off and a great mom!
i love the self abuse quote, kels you are always a wealth of knowledge. You are always so compassionate and caring! I hope you know how much I appricaiate you....and I am sooo glad you have a blog it is the lil pick me up I need!
I LOVE YOU KELS!! YOU have the best info & it is so simple... if only we'd live that way huh? You always bring new things to my attention, even after what like 16 years of knowing you?! You're the greatest w/ words & friendship...
Loves
Jodi
Great advice. I could use this kind of reminder daily. Boy it sure is easier said than done. I used to think that if I tried hard enough I could be the "perfect" mom and have the "perfect" body. And I was ALWAYS disappointed in myself. I am starting to learn to be happy with my best effort. I'm not perfect, but I sure sleep better at night. Ü
You're so great!! That is just what I needed to hear. Your the best!
Post a Comment