Thursday, November 19, 2009

In a funk

My life is not what I imagined it would be.
Not that I ever really thought about the way my life would, or should look.
When I was a little girl I dreamed of the day I would be a mom
When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up my only response was
"A mother and a wife."
Well I am here to tell you I feel like it is more like a nightmare than a dream sometimes.
Sorry for the honesty here.
Life is hard. Really, really, really hard!!!
Sad that I thought it was really going to be like playing house.
So here I am with five kids and a husband.
I love them more than anything in the world.
They are my greatest joy!
But to be totally honest I am not loving my dream job so much right now.
I felt like I was a really good Mom until I had my fourth baby. ( sorry Bridger and Ava)
I enjoyed playing and doing all the fun things I always dreamed I would do as a Mom.
Sure I made mistakes but I really felt like I was a good Mom!
having five kids is kicking my butt big time! I am not afraid to admit it I have no sense of pride that I am not the best Mom ever anymore.
I feel buried under 10 loads of laundry that have been on my floor for almost a week now. And have small short glimpses of a clean house.( they last 5 mins or less)
I don't read with my kids the way I should or use too.
I feel like I am constantly running and I am always a day late and a dollar short.
I think one of the greatest tools Satan possesses is to make us believe we are less than, that we are worthless. I think also that we truly believe that we are the only ones who have problems. We see everyone like the clean living room in the entry way of their home and not as their messy closets! I think that I am really struggling with this right now. I feel like a am my own worst enemy. That is why I titled this post in a funk! I am there! Stuck! Feeling so down and out that I am screaming inside. I feel like I am on the edge of a water fall teetering ready to go over the edge at any minute. I am tired. I look like crap! I feel like I am not doing a good job with my kids. I feel completely spent in every way. So how is that for being open and honest. I miss Eric! He is never here. I miss my old life in some ways. I miss when I could have time to actually think. When cleaning lasted for more than five minutes. When I could eat, sleep and relax in peace. Sorry I know this post is so negative and out there. OK so here is the part where I remind myself that I am happy and I am so thankful for so many things and I start to count my blessings and remember the whole purpose of this life. It is not to have the perfect clean house, or perfect sized jeans. Those things don't last I know that I have had both and now have neither! I am really going off here. I guess I just needed to vent a little. Life is what you make it and what you choose to focus your time and attention on. We are all always needing to recommit to doing and being better. I just wish the lows could be less frequent I guess. I think there are just so many uncertainties in my life right now. I feel kind of lost in a way. We are going to have to move soon and I have no idea how we are going to make it.
FAITH... I hope I can have the faith needed to make it through.
So I am going to list the things I am thankful for this day as we are coming up on Thanks Giving next week. I know the best medicine for depression and no it is not Prozac or well butrin. There are three things and they really do work.
GRATITUDE~ HUMOR~ SERVICE
When or if you are having a hard time any one of these will assit you in feeling better. Have gratitude for the little things, laugh until you cry, and step outside your self and your problems and serve someone. So I guess I need to take my own advice and start being my best friend instead of my worst enemy.
Here are some of the things I am thankful for today.

~ It was a beautiful day today I took Ava for a walk and went to the park.
~Ava is using the big potty! Yeah no more diapers! After 12 years that is a huge blessing! She also had her first dance class this week! That was a little piece of heaven for me! I am teaching dance! I love to dance and have missed it so much so what a blessing to have a way to enjoy it again!
~ Eric He is amazing! I am so very proud of him in a new way. He is brilliant! He is doing so good in school and is such a hard worker! He has been working and going to school full time for the last 3-4 weeks, I am so thankful for him.
~My Mom. I honestly have no idea how I would do life with out her! She is always so willing to help me out. I have learned so much about service through her by being ever so blessed to have the most generous Mom on the earth!
~My Dad- Honestly he has been such a wonderful support to us! He has taught me so much about working smarter not harder he is such a great Grandpa to my kids.
~My friends and neighbors. It is going to be really hard to leave our neighborhood. We have been so blessed to have the best friends and neighbors.

Well my neck is killing me I need to stop but the list could go on and on. I am going to try a little harder tomorrow to be a little better. I guess I need to lower my standards or just cut myself a little slack. I know it will get better or easier some day. I am just an anxious spirit!

14 comments:

linde said...

I am totally feeling the same way! It is always nice to vent and i sure could use some venting time as well. YOu are a good mom and don't let anyone tell you or make you feel differant. Loves and Hugs coming your way. Congrats on the potty training. Macee is potty trained too!

Camie said...

Kelsi, I don't care what you say. I give you massive credit for being resilient enough to bring your five beautiful children into the world and to care for them each day--and I am sure they think you are the most wonderful woman ever. I have noticed a pattern that the most outstanding people I know have been reared in homes where they have many brothers/sisters. Your kids might not have one-on-one attention or perfect order in their lives all the time, but you can't underestimate all that they are becoming--thanks to you and your sacrifices. And I bet they are some of the happiest/most loved kids around.

I have had moments like this, and I only have three! The sun always comes back out!

Mandy said...

Oh Kelsi I am sorry that you are feeling overwhelmed!! It is always ok to be real!! We are all human and life IS HARD!! I hope you can feel better! You are right I do believe service is one of the greatest ways to feeling better!!

You know I just went through this last month!! You gotta read my post the one before the last. Called The Abundant Life. Maybe something would help. ?
You are such a great mom and I admire how you are doing!! 5 is a big number and you are doing amazing at it!! My mom had 5 and I nearly every day ask her how on earth she did it!!
Nana responded on mine and said sometimes we just gotta stop and take it all in. It is the little things that matter most!
School is so hard, my husband just finished three years ago. but now has decided to go on to more!!! %$#%^ YIKES!! Having a family makes school hard but wow when they are done and look back at what they and you have accomplished it is such a great feeling and the Lord really does bless us through those hard times!!
I hope things go better and that you can get some relief!! It sounds like you just need a girls day out!! Or a really long bubble bath with a good book!! :) You really are incredible don't let that little voice (Satan) win!! Good luck and lots of hugs!!

sarah said...

Hang in there you can do it !!!!
LOVE YOU LOTS.........

Christina P. said...

I didn't even think of the fact that it has been 12 years in diapers. Sorry I didn't give more enthusiasm when you told me. Woo-Woo!!!!!!!

You are the bomb-diggity. I think you are 100% perfect. Who cares if your house is a mess? Stop trying to be perfect. Nobody is. The people you think are are the furthest from it. I think you are one of the most genuine people I have ever known. Thats one of your many qualities. I think you need some C.P. time. Lets play this next week. We can make "stuff". Love ya!

Grammy Staffy said...

I am so sorry that you are going through this hard time. I think every mom feels overwhelmed at times. Being a mom is hard...even if it is a blessing...it is hard.
However, believe it or not time really does pass quickly. In the middle of stressful times it doesn't seem like it...but this will pass. Have faith...you can do this...you will make it.
My thoughts and love are with you.
Good luck. I will put your name on our temple prayer list. Prayers really do help. Hugs, Lura

Amy M. said...

You have no idea how much I loved that post! The "supermom" syndrome has been weighing on my mind also. I feel like I am constantly on the go (I'm lucky if I'm ready before my day begins...), only to find myself back at square one when the day is over. You are an amazing woman...I am sure that you speak for many woman. Sending lots of love your way!

Megan Andersen said...

Kelsi, I feel like I can relate to what you are going through. But on a much smaller scale. Two kids are still controllable (I guess). You are such a strong woman, & I admire that strength in you. I have enjoyed reading your blog so much these past two years. You have really kept me in check with what is important. I know that it is just hard sometimes to take your own advice. Keep your chin up sista!

Jod Jas Curtis said...

Kels- you are so REAL & inspiring! HELLO you deserve to Vent- you are always picking everyone else up around you & making sure they are okay. You amaze me & your family :) Hang in there, the light will come. Remember "Papa is in love with you" that is all that matters... well I love your guts too :)
& Yay on Ava, now come get to work on Tekai - haha!

Hickman Fam said...

Kels, you post made me cry. I am so going through this right now and after only three kids. Being a mom IS HARD. And living up to our own potential is even harder. You are a beautiful and amazing person. I'm with Megan. I love reading your blog. It's nice to hear you vent and it's nice to be reminded to be grateful too.

Danielle Christiansen said...

If everyone was half the mom you were, this world would be a great place. And I bet you can fit both your legs in one of my leg wholes in my jeans. if it makes you feel better.:)

Megan Andersen said...

Hey Kelsi. I am addressing Christmas cards.. Would you please email me over your address so that I can send your cute family one?. megryan6901@hotmail.com
Thanks Chica!

Grammy Staffy said...

I hope that you are out of your funk by now and feeling better.

I send love and best wishes for the new year

I have Christmas greetings I would like to share with you on my last 2 posts. Drop by if you can. Hugs, Lura

Mandy said...

Hey Kelsi, are you stillin a Funk?? I was thinking about you and checked and nope still no post. Just was wondering how you are doing?? Are things better?? I mean it is a new year and everything right?? I am hoping for a better one!! Mike started school this week. Not looking forward to it again so I was thinking about you and wondering how you are!!?